Sunday, April 20, 2014

Different.




And that's when I realized that my family was different. 


As I scrolled through the countless images of families dressed in pastels. Baskets in hand. Bonnets on heads. 

I realized what I wanted. 
I wanted to feel love. 
It all makes sense. 

My family, we love each other. But we don't express it as others do.  
We don't go on family vacations. No family dinners. No trips to the lake, like we used to. 
I want that. 

I want an extended family. In-laws. Cousins. Nieces. Nephews. 

I wanted to share and experience in love. 

Every holiday comes and goes, we'll get gifts for a split second, revel in each others company over a meal, and then it's off our separate ways. To the living room for television. Escaping to the internet to see what others were doing. And yard work or dishes for the parentals. 

Maybe this is why I'm so hesitant to love, but so eager at the same time. 
I know what I want, but I've never had the chance to partake. 

And that's the scary part. 

What happens when I do? 
Will I leach on. Run away. Or just play it coy, like I always do. 
I love love. I just can't bring myself to say it out loud.


Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic. I dream of the day that someone will feel for me the way that I feel for them. 
It may not be a sparks fly moment, like they show in movies, but a girl can dream. 

I just want to feel. 
Ya know?

Life passes us by. Day by day.
We're constantly drudging along, floating by, looking forward to the future. But what about the present?

My family doesn't understand why I'm so hellbent on the idea of one day falling in love. 

But the truth is -- I've never fallen in love. With a human being. 
Therefore, I don't know what I'm missing out on. 
It's terrifying. Knowing there's a feeling that pretty much the entire world has felt at some point in their lives, sometimes multiple times.

And I have not. 

I fall in love with characters. These ideas and concepts of people in books, movies, shows, songs, and more. And maybe that's why I dream up the characters of my ideal mate. 
He'll understand my love for music, my nervous habit of licking my teeth, the way that I'd rather spend hours at concerts or coffee shops than at the mall. How Momma Autumn is my best friend. And how I've been collecting postcards for the majority of my life, but I cannot honestly tell you where most of them are stashed around my house. 
He'll get that. 
And I'll get him. 

But I don't get to experience that. Not right now. 
And that's seriously okay. It's just heartbreaking sometimes. 
Especially around holidays. 

As friends and their families take photos and partake in their traditions. 
I sit. 
In my room. 
Benge watching television shows and romantic comedies. 

That's my life. 
I'm living it. 

But I'm also praying and hoping for an ever loving future. 

And remember, it's okay to be different. This is what life is all about. 
I just can't wait to admit my love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment